Sunday, November 25, 2007

Back to the old getting my secondary education concept....

It's funny how when I left on Tuesday, I got out of here at precisely the time I planned, but when I tried to leave today, I was 45 minutes later than the already late time my mom convinced me to leave at. Silly family. After a whole lot of carrying on about laundry and tire inflation, I finally got on the road, in the pouring, cold rain. I was feeling pretty good, finally got the ipod working, totally going the right way...Had to pee so bad for about 60 miles and stopped in Brenham at a janky looking Exxon. I rushed through the door but stopped still when I was faced with 15 truckers and farmers in a dark bar, all turned to look at me. I just frantically looked around and dashed to the back of the store without a word, busting through the bathroom door. It was a rather nice bathroom, actually, with license plates all over the wall and pictures of cow slaughtering houses. (It's Texas, what can I say...) Hoping not to seem so frantic but also remain unseen, I sideled through the back of the store to pick up some snacks, which were alarmingly cheap, I must note...and ran out the door.

Hit the road again and was doing well...until I missed the dang exit in the same place as last time and had to come screeching to a halt in a vet's parking lot with all my stuff flying around the car. Of course when I turned around I managed to get stuck behind a procession of 3 mobile homes being moved and a long line of agitated college students (denoted by stickers on our cars). Eventually I figured things out and even saw some sunshine. Almost thought I got lost another time but it was a false alarm. Thennnn I got stuck behind an RV for the last 20 miles on what would have been gloriously open road. Foiled again!

I did eventually get to school and froze as I tried to get all my crap inside. Unpacking took over an hour thanks to my mom's laundry packing scheme, so my roommate and I watched Hairspray while I sorted. Which is an alarmingly good movie. Dancing and singing out the door in my furry crocs, I forged through the cold night to eat some mystery morsels for dinner (since lunch had consisted of crackers and iced tea). Upon leaving the salad bar, I ran into none other than....

*Dun dun DUNNNHHHHH*

The ex. In an elf hat. We had pleasant, friendly conversation, mostly about how sad the cafeteria makes us, and I offered to go find a table for him and our friend and me, but....then just as he started rattling off his excuse about going to eat in his friend's apartment, I noticed the styrofoam take out box in his hand and realized I would be eating another lonely dinner. Turned quickly on my heel with a short good bye. Ended up eating "stir fry" then peanut butter with a spoon all alone in a big booth. (Yes, with a spoon, plain.) My Tracey Turnblad-induced euphoria crashed down with me into the cushy plastic seat.

Why is no one back yet???

Dunno what I'd do without Jack though. I've realized how truly awesome my high school friends are.

No comments: