Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Warning: very long but hopefully worthwhile

Today was "one of those days." I don't really even know what that means, but it's true. Practice was ok...everyone was in a pretty bad mood, but we ran alright. The weather was nice...Oh! highlight of day! I got my anthro midterm back and got a 49/50 and an "excellent" on what I thought was a pretty shoddy essay at the time! Yahoooo. I attempted to nap, as it is Wednesday, and that is nap day, but I was unsuccessful.

After that I got a migraine and had to go through Enviro History (in which I expounded upon the frivolities of the suburbs) and orchestra (oh my gosh). Then I tried to nap again and was allllmost asleep, when Marge came crashing into the room and flipped on the overhead fluorescent lights. She paused for 10 seconds before realizing I was on my bed, turned on a different light, and continued slamming around the room. In that moment, I decided I was definitely moving. I also confronted her as politely as possible about making my business everyone else's business and then promptly walked to dinner, which I wasn't even hungry for. Fortunately some friends were there to eat and bitch with, so that was excellent. And even more excellent was watching Charlie Brown and drinking hot chocolate with my fellow Halloween homework doers who don't party. Now I'm here, having just finished a response paper to the Mahabharata, an assignment I enjoyed far more than expected. So maybe it wasn't "one of those days" entirely. Bittersweetish?

But I promised a recap of yesterday. I practically don't even care anymore, so sorry if it's not very fulfilling after all the hype.

Basically I studied til 2 am, overslept and missed practice, woke up in a panic at 9:00, quickly finished outlining essay questions, dashed to the gym to ride the exercise bike for 25 minutes while frantically studying, didn't even have time to shower, ran back to the room and..*pause* Then I ran over to Dr. Darth Vader's office, but I saw her along the way being very much not in her office, so I waited for her. We had an hour long meeting, and I told her many things...many things that sound terrible to say but ended up being good because I've they've been smoldering for months and now might cause positive change. Turns out she likes me and thinks I'm smart, though I never got that vibe. Oh yes, and this is where the yellow armchair comes in, because she had one in her office that basically required an ejection lever to get out of. (I ended that sentence with a preposition, which I'm now paranoid about, even though I think it's a silly rule).

Then I took the midterm. I have 4 letters for you, Comparative Politics midterm, and 3 of them are asteriks. Use your imagination...

And the nest egg is my stress ball, that is indeed a "nest egg" given to me by my stock broker. And yes, I have a stock broker. Thank you, crazy grandpa who makes me go to Lake Jackson to check on my investments in dirty energy.

After the doom-ridden midterm, Hinduism class was CANCELLED, which was the most amazing news (though I'm sorry Dr. Young PhD Student with Dreamy Deep Voice was sick). So I went to Target and bought things. Things that cost more money than expected but were mostly necessary.

Thennnn I went to a Careers in Writing seminar, which was a very good thing. Other than the part where it made me even more conflicted about my major, it made me realize for the trillionth time (good job me for having instincts that I only kind of listen to) that I neeeeed to go into writing. There is a severe lack of fiction in my life. I need to read novels and I need to write creatively. They cited blogging and writing everyday as what a budding writer needs to do, so at least I'm doing something right. One lady has my ideal job of capturing Americana themes in documentarian writing, so that was cool to see as something someone actually does. The journalist guy said that you can still be a journalist, even having gone to a school without a program, and emphasized the importance of economics, so I'm doing that right too...But then I became very concerned that I'm not in the right classes next semester. I'm taking a huge variety of stuff, but I don't know if it's right. I really wish I could have an English class, but there's no room in my schedule. Perhaps I can change it or just start on it sophomore year. I really need it though, for my sanity. I keep telling myself to think about all of these things over Christmas, not now. I think that's what kept me awake in my first nap. Phooey.

After thaaat I went to the dorm Halloween party very briefly. My floor dressed as "schoolgirls," which made me want to puke on myself. Mostly I grabbed fistfuls of candy and danced a bit, then jetted off to my meeting for Power Shift. Somehow I managed to fulfill all of my commitments yesterday, which I'm quite amazed at.

That is all.

No comments: