Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mother Moon

An added note to my stories tangent:

My mom just reminded me tonight of a story she used to tell me when I was little, and I am positively astounded at how beautiful the little myth is that she created. I can't remember all of it, just an abridged version, but I think the profundity is still there...

"There once was a little girl who lived in a world where there were so many things that she did not understand. She could not see the answers but wanted desperately to fix everything. One day, she cried up to her mother, Mother Moon, "Oh, Mother, I want to be able to understand, to see the answers to all of the problems around me. Please help me to see what to do!" Mother Moon replied, "Daughter, I will help you to see" and she reached up into the sky, plucking two blue, twinkling stars from the heavens, and placed them into her daughter's eyes. "Here, my daughter, may these stars allow you to see what it is you strive to find. Always remember to look up to me in the sky whenever you need me. Remember that you are always safe with me." The little girl cried, "Oh thank you, Mother Moon!" and she felt safe and happy. The girl used her newfound sight to remedy those problems she saw around her, and everyone marveled at the girl's beautiful, twinkling blue eyes that saw so much. And the girl never forgot to look up toward the night sky, to feel the comfort of her mother's warm glow and to see the others stars, watching from their perch, shining in the sky."

I'm pretty sure my mom is brilliant.
And also the reason why I've been obsessed with stories since I was 2 years old.
This story actually explains a lot about me, but that's for another time.

1 comment:

pinkgurugal said...

i love that story! and i love that you are writing again. keep doing it as to keep feeding your soul. i'll be reading! :)