Monday, December 17, 2007

Playing catch-up

Winter break!!!!!!

The room switch was a great success overall. There was concern for a while though! I was sent a list of potential roommates a little over a week ago, but there were very few on there that I knew. So I did what any other college kid would do and facebook stalked them. My search was depressing at first. Highlight: someone listed Ann Coulter and George W. Bush as interests. Yes, interests. I'm sorry, but I can't live with Ann Coulter aka Spawn of Satan. There were several other "very conservatives" that were quickly ix-nayed. I'm open minded, but hypocrisy will abound when it comes to living with certain people.

Finally I found a few potential candidates and one in particular to whom I sent an awkward "hey I think I pick you let's meet" email. (The trick is smiely emoticons and exclamation marks to not allow your awkwardness to blaze through.) She fortunately responded very positively the next day. We had dinner and other than the first few embarrassing moments hit it off rather smashingly. Turns out she lives in Pearland, has a mom who used to stand in front of bulldozers, sleeps at night, likes English and music, and is very athletic. It felt sort of like a blind date, with us interviewing each other over crackly Commons spaghetti. At the end she burst out, "So do I pass your test? Do you want to live with me?"

What a change! Someone who wants me there, who wants me to live with them, who is flexible and not paranoid. She was totally fine with me moving in the next day on hardly any notice at all. And what's more....You really find out who your friends are when you have to move your stuff to the third floor of another building in the pouring rain at night. To those 5 people who offered to do that: you have my absolutely undying gratitude.

So I basically spent 2 days packing/unpacking/packing again to go home. My new room is so much cozier though. It's old, but it has character and a really good vibe. And I got sleep for the two glorious nights I was there! My roommate sleeps! Motion wakes her up, but she's ok with that. She even laughed with me when our curtains didn't fit and we just left them diagonally hanging in the window. Kindness and understanding and a sense of humor, what a concept!

One tiny downside...she's been bff with our suitemate (across the bathroom that has a DOOR!), so it's a little hard for me to break into that dynamic. I don't speak YouTube quite as fluently as they do. But I like them both. Things will be ok!

Had two exams last week...Comp Politics was a biiiiitch to study for all day and was a very thorough test, but I felt very good about it. Anthopology was super easy as expected, and I'm glad I didn't put too much effort into studying. After my tests, I just had a day and a half to organize my room and hang out, since it was storming in Houston. Leah and I wandered around, drinking tea, helping people burn old work, not wearing bras, and other general mischief.

And then I drove home! It was a semi-frazzling affair with my bike flapping in the breeze. I made it home on 6 crackers and a bottle of Gatorade, but make it I did. Didn't get lost a single time, not one. My time at home has generally been spent working out (my grandpa kicks my butt at racquetball and weight lifting), bothering Sugar Cycles people, and running errands. Oh yeah, I have a good suggestion. If you ever need a massage, go to the Relax the Back store and pretend you are interested in buying things while you try out the massage chair for a full 14 minutes. Then tell them you'd like to try something for your scoliosis, and they will invert you!

Golly gosh, this is getting long. I'm behind. And procrastinating! Saturday night I went to see my sister in the court of a quincenera, which was cool for approximately 20 minutes in the middle where we ate and the kids danced. My parents, being white and eager, showed up far too early, so we had to sit there in the bright fluorescent lights of the community center watching them practice for about an hour. I also was one of the only people between 16 and 40 in attendance. But I will say that I looked pretty darn good in my black dress. Good thing all of the boys there were 15 and wouldn't dance with me anyway. The Spanish hokey pokey was my cue to leave. I ended up just going home and sitting there, though, watching tv with my dogs. Wahoo for me and Saturday night.

The last few days have apparently been official compliment Ursula days, though, which is cool. Some lady I don't really know and who was probably a bit tipsy told me last night that she hopes her future hypothetical children are me-- look like me, act like me, do what I do. Today a mechanic told me that I have beautiful eyes. (Which adds on to the getting hit on by the high school aged HEB cashier yesterday over a container of Cool Whip.) So that's pretty cool.

I've gotten most of my grades back, and all is well except for orchestra! ORCHESTRA. I'm not even kidding. That bitch ruined my 4.0. What do I have to do???? I did more than necessary, and she still kicked me in the face. I even made a straight A in Comp Poli! I'm more inspired than ever to quit.

In other news, the fluorescent yellow storage closet from hell (aka my room) is coming along thanks to my grandma. It still looks like a monster vomited my belongings everywhere, but there is marked improvement. I should probably get back to that...At least I have a wonderful view from the 7 foot wide window! (Well, a view of the neighbors' pool and some rooftops, but it's practically Parisian and the sunset is nice.)

No comments: