Friday, December 28, 2007

If ever I believed in God, I believed tonight.

Tonight was actually one of the best times I have ever had. I was supposed to have a night with girl friends, but it fizzled out...At the last minute, my dad told me he had 2 tickets to a concert, so I asked to leave work early, called up my very good friend Jack, and we went out to Verizon. We were the only people there under 30, but you know what? It was so much fun. I still have no idea who Joe Ely is, but he sure sings good songs. Watching drunken parents in leather jackets was a huge plus too.

We left the show a little early because we were so hungry and went to Katz's to eat at 11:00. I was pretty un-veggie tonight. Sometimes I get these huge meat cravings and just have to eat an entire meatball sub. It happens. When we were too full and tired of dancing in our booth while watching people eat, we drove back and sang Dixie Chicks on the top of our lungs. Jack spent the entire night talking about this new girl he likes, a state we like to call "twitterpation" (as in Bambi). We listened to sappy songs to honor the feeling.

What was so brilliant about the whole night, though, was the almost cliche perfection it captured. Last week Jack admitted that he liked me, though I didn't reciprocate. We managed to talk about it indirectly by marveling at how things really do happen for a reason. He has now found someone so great for him. And it looks like I have too! As soon as you just let go of forcing things, you find what it is you always wanted. 

The even more wonderful thing was the overwhelming sense of being ok with the past that I felt on the drive home. I felt, at least in that moment, so over my first love. For the past year, I've struggled with the loss, but tonight I hit a big milestone. Jack and I even went to the theater where Scott and I saw our first concert, ate at his family's favorite restaurant and the site of our most meaningful photo booth pictures, drove down the major street that runs by his house, and heard a song that he used to play for me. All of this on his 21st birthday. But I was completely ok. No tears, no anger. I was purely happy for the memories and happy for him! We finally pulled up to my house with "God Blessed the Broken Road" blasting on the stereo. 

Perfection.

No comments: